Sunday, May 17, 2009

Nifty Symmetry


pic:  mydeadpony

Generally speaking, when Mo and I spin out together, we play a lot of funk, downtempo, midtempo, reggae, and hip hop, with some dancier stuff thrown in towards the end for good measure.  So a lot of times, when I wake up on Sunday mornings and I want to mix for a while, I tend to play the complete opposite:  bassed up, tweaked out, razor sharp breakbeats and electro.  I've got a soft spot for big room breaks, as regular followers of this blog have learned.  Unfortunately, it's a relatively under-represented sound out there in clubland/blogworld (but if anyone wants to remedy that...email a ninja, I got breaks for days!).  

Anyhoo, this mix offers up my usual go-to breakbeat suspects:  a couple of Bassbin Twins tracks and remixes, some Stanton Warriors, a couple of Finger Lickin' Records heavy hitters (Drumattic Twins, Soul of Man), some of my favorite classic Marine Parade joints (Apex, 9 Nickel).  I worked a Basement Jaxx track in there in honor of their impending new release (get out there and cop that, kids!), and also managed to get two, count 'em TWO tracks by Bassnectar into this set list (one of the most slept on producers in breaks).  And I finish this one off with a classic breaks staple in Easy B's "Found the Gonzo" which brings me back to 1998 (first heard this track on a Jesse mix tape in college).  

 I'd say this one's more of a "still up from Saturday night" kind of Sunday morning mix.  I'm pretty stoked about it, though, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.  I know Kenny and Recon and Melnick and TBoo Ted Marshall will know what I'm talking about (what what?!?)...



1. basement jaxx - nifty
2. bassnectar - yo (speaker junk's jackin brazillian rave mix)
3. bassbin twins - 80808 dub
4. chicken lips - he not in (stanton warriors remix)
5. bassnectar - interpret
6. stir fry - breakin in the streets (stir fry re-fry)
7. drumattic twins - invincible bass
8. krafty kuts & C5 joyriders - take it
9. apex - symmetry (bassbin twins edit)
10. deekline & wizard - all your love (ills mix)
11. dbx presents dub techniques part II - no return
12. 9 nickel - capricorn
13. bassbin twins - E.S.W.
14. soul of man - killer brew (killa mix)
15. stanton warriors ft. the beatnuts - shake it up
16. easy b - found the gonzo

No comments:

Post a Comment